|Description||Gnus is an e-mail client, a news client and a feed aggregator.|
|Author||name of author|
|Maintainer||Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen|
|Part of Emacs||yes|
Gnus with virtual servers
Gnus has unified interface to e-mail, feed, news, and others. virtual server are created to different source of information, and Gnus talks to this virtual server as if they are the same.
So, when someone want Gnus to work with particular source of information, he register a vertural server to Gnus as a select methods, for example:
Using Gnus with Gmail
- Make sure gnutls-bin or starttls package is installed on your system
- Create a Gmail account
- Enable IMAP in Gmail accout, by settings->forwarding POP/IMAP
- Use Gmail’s IMAP as a (secondary) select method, by add following line into ./gnus.el
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail" (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com") (nnimap-server-port 993) (nnimap-stream ssl)))
or Using Gmail as primary select method
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "gmail" (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com") (nnimap-server-port 993) (nnimap-stream ssl)))
5. Put following line in your ~/.authinfo
machine imap.gmail.com login firstname.lastname@example.org password secret port 993
6. (optional) Enable using gmail’s SMTP server by put following line in ./gnus.el
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)) smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "email@example.com" nil)) smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com" smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com" smtpmail-smtp-service 587 smtpmail-local-domain "yourcompany.com")
Using Gnus with Gmane
you can easily read news from Gmane with Gnus
- in group buffer , press B (browser foreign server)
- type "nntp" when asked "which back end"
- type web.gmane.org when asked "address"
- browse different groups, press u to subscribe
For managing your address book, see Contact Management.