Guile is the GNU Ubiquitous Intelligent Language for Extensions, the official extension language for the GNU operating system.
Guile as a programming language
- Guile is an interpreter and compiler for the Scheme programming language.
- Guile has fully support of R5RS, most of the R6RS, many SRFI.
GOOPS is the object oriented extension to Guile.
Guile as an extension language platform
- Guile is a virtual machine that executes a portable instruction set generated by its compiler.
- Guile can integrate very easily with C and C++ application code.
- In addition to Scheme, Guile includes compiler front-ends for ECMAScript and Emacs Lisp.
== Emacs and Guile Guile team has a long-term plan to replace the elisp engine in emacs with his own.