Info is the hypertext help/reference browser in GNU Emacs. You invoke its top level with [C-h i] (or M-x info).
- M-x info-apropos
- Don't know where to go in Info? Try this command. For example, try M-x info-apropos RET compile RET to get some overview of compilation support in Emacs.
- [C-h r] (or M-x info-emacs-manual)
- Learn how to use GNU Emacs. Very detailed.
- [C-h i] (or M-x info)
- See the Info manuals of all packages that come with your GNU Emacs, and of any third-party packages and external programs whose info files Info finds in its search path.
- While in an Info buffer, jump to some topic of interest. To learn about regular expressions try and .
- Same as but gives you a list of links.
- Try this if you are lost and overwhelmed by the amount of information available and you want to reflect on where all you went and how you got lost.
- You have installed a Third party package. It includes (or you have created with makeinfo) an info file. This command allows you to browse this info file. To make the info file's contents permanently available in Info's top level, you can add the info file's containing directory to Info's search path using M-x customize-variable RET Info-directory-list, or by editing the INFOPATH environment variable and re-starting Emacs.
|Command Name||Keys||Explain||equivalent to web browser|
|info-follow-nearest-node||<enter>>||jump to the node of which link is to nearest to the cursor||click the link|
|info-prev||p||jump to previous node, as indicated on the header line|
|info-next||n||jump to next node, as indicated on the the header line|
|info-scroll-up||<space>||scroll up to read more, when finish a node, jump to next node||page down|
||scroll down to review, when at the beginning of a node, jump to previous node||page up|
|info-up||^||jump to the superior node, as indited on the head line|
|info-menu||m||jump to one of nodes in the menu of by entering name|
|info-nth-menu-item||1-9||jump to one of nodes in the menu by number|
|info-follow-reference||f||jump to one of cross reference nodes|
|info-exit||q||exit from the info||close the browser|
|info-summary||?||show a summary of info command||F1 (help)|