Revision as of 15:40, 24 June 2012 by Bozhidar
Info is the hypertext help/reference browser in GNU Emacs. You invoke its top level with [C-h i] (or M-x info).
In the graphic environment, you can also use your mouse to browse info like browse a web site.
|Command Name||Keys||Explain||equivalent to web browser|
|info-scroll-up||<space>||scroll up to read more, when finish a node, jump to next node||page down|
|info-scroll-down||<delete>||scroll down to review, when at the beginning of a node, jump to previous node||page up|
|info-follow-nearest-node||<enter>||jump to the node of which link is to nearest to the cursor||click the link|
|info-history-back||l||jump to previous node, which you have read||history back|
|info-prev||p||jump to previous node, as indicated on the header line||click the link|
|info-next||n||jump to next node, as indicated on the the header line||click the link|
|info-up||^||jump to the superior node, as indited on the head line||click the link|
|info-menu||m||jump to one of nodes in the menu of by entering name||click the link|
|info-nth-menu-item||1-9||jump to one of nodes in the menu by number||click the link|
|info-follow-reference||f||jump to one of cross reference nodes||click the link|
|info-exit||q||exit from the info||close the browser|
|info-summary||?||show a summary of info command||F1 (help)|
- M-x info-apropos
- Don't know where to go in Info? Try this command. For example, try M-x info-apropos RET compile RET to get some overview of compilation support in Emacs.
- [C-h r] (or M-x info-emacs-manual)
- Learn how to use GNU Emacs. Very detailed.
- [C-h i] (or M-x info)
- See the Info manuals of all packages that come with your GNU Emacs, and of any third-party packages and external programs whose info files Info finds in its search path.
- While in an Info buffer, jump to some topic of interest. To learn about regular expressions try and .
- Same as but gives you a list of links.
- Try this if you are lost and overwhelmed by the amount of information available and you want to reflect on where all you went and how you got lost.
- You have installed a Third party package. It includes (or you have created with makeinfo) an info file. This command allows you to browse this info file. To make the info file's contents permanently available in Info's top level, you can add the info file's containing directory to Info's search path using M-x customize-variable RET Info-directory-list, or by editing the INFOPATH environment variable and re-starting Emacs.