Welcome to WikEmacs - A Community Maintained Emacs Wiki
WikEmacs (pronounced wikimacs) is intended as a next generation alternative to the traditional EmacsWiki.
Getting started with Emacs
- Installing Emacs
- Look and Feel
- Emacs for Vim users
- Starter Kits
- Learning Resources and getting help
- Package Managers
- Emacs Terminology
- Windows and frames
- Point and mark
- Kill and Yank
- Narrow and widen
- Quitting Emacs: type `C-x C-c` (that's Control-X, Control-C)
Text editing in Emacs
- Search and replace
- Undo and redo
- Abbreviations and Templates
- Spell check
- International Users
- Remote Editing via FTP, ssh, etc.
- Emacs server and emacsclient
Automation in Emacs
- Custom for choosing and setting options.
- Scripting your init.el file (formerly .emacs) using Emacs Lisp .
Emacs and Desktop Integration
Typesetting, Document Markup and Document Creation in Emacs
Emacs as an IDE
For Literate Programming see Org Babel.
Programming and Scripting Languages
- Common Lisp
- Emacs Lisp
- Pascal and Delphi
- shell script
- Visual Basic
- Inferior Emacs Lisp Mode (IELM) for interacting with Emacs' own internal Lisp
- SLIME for interacting with an external Common Lisp or Clojure instance
Emacs supports many Version Control systems out of the box and provides bindings and other shortcuts for a better workflow between Emacs and these systems.
Web browsing and web development
- w3 : a pure-Emacs-Lisp text-mode web browser.
- Launching and interacting with an external browser from emacs
- Using emacs as a browser's external editor , either when entering text on web pages or when viewing a web page's source document or both.
Shells and terminal emulation
Within Emacs you can interact with various shells and other command-line/text-mode programs running as a sub-process within an Emacs terminal emulator:
Emacs itself is fully functional either in a terminal or a windowing system. Some keystrokes available under window systems may not work in a terminal and vice versa.
- Emacspeak for the visually challenged.
Security and cryptography
- Gnu Privacy Guard (GPG) support and integration
- IRC Channel
Contributing to Emacs
- Reporting bugs
- Memory Usage
- Reporting Bugs
- Core Developers
- Project Leaders
- Stefan Monnier
- Chong Yidong
- Project Leaders
- Media player
- Binary files
Games and Entertainment
- XEmacs and GNU Emacs
Popular Culture and Community
- Adding Emacs-style key bindings to other programs and operating systems.
- St Ignucius and the Church of Emacs
- Saving the world from vi