Spell Checking is done by Emacs by calling external spell checkers.
You can use either aspell or hunspell.
- M-x ispell-change-dictionary RET SPC
- Check list of installed dictionaries.
- M-x customize-variable RET ispell-dictionary
- Configure default dictionary.
- M-x add-file-local-variable RET ispell-dictionary RET TAB
- Use this to change dictionary on per-file basis. This command will add this line to the file in question. Please save and re-load the file for new settings to take effect.
-*- ispell-dictionary: "english" -*-
You need dictionary files for spell check to work. If you have installed OpenOffice or LibreOffice, then dictionary files are already there.
(setq-default ispell-program-name "hunspell")
(message "You can also do this customization")
GNU/Linux Notes 1
GNU/Linux Notes 2
Links to precompiled binaries are dead at time of writing.
I got RPMs from openSUSE, but hunspell.exe aborted after not finding a dll file. After that dll was added, another dll was not found. I gave up after several iterations. This was with mingw32-hunspell-1.3.2-1.98.noarch.rpm and later mingw32-hunspell-1.3.2-1.99.noarch.rpm (and associated lang and tools RPMs). Windows users be aware of this.
- International Ispell
- Official Home page and lots of dictionaries
- Spell checker problems
- Xahlee's notes and tutorials