Spell Checking is done by Emacs by calling external spell checkers.
You need to install either aspell or hunspell.
Links to pre compiled binaries are dead at time of writing.
RPMs with the noarch.rpm extension refer to packages which do not depend on a certain computer's architecture (e.g. interpreted programming languages and shell scripts). The utility 7zip can unpack an RPM on Windows, and the enclosed cpio file archive.
This did not help with the noarch RPMs I got from http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/windows:/mingw:/win32/openSUSE_Factory/noarch/ The executable hunspell.exe aborted after not finding a dll file.
After that dll was added, another dll was not found. I gave up after several iterations. This was with mingw32-hunspell-1.3.2-1.98.noarch.rpm and later mingw32-hunspell-1.3.2-1.99.noarch.rpm (and associated lang and tools RPMs).
- M-x ispell-change-dictionary RET SPC
- Check list of installed dictionaries.
- M-x customize-variable RET ispell-dictionary
- Configure default dictionary.
- M-x add-file-local-variable RET ispell-dictionary RET TAB
- Use this to change dictionary on per-file basis. This command will add this line to the file in question. Please save and re-load the file for new settings to take effect.
-*- ispell-dictionary: "english" -*-
You need dictionary files for spell check to work. If you have installed OpenOffice or LibreOffice, then dictionary files are already there.
(setq-default ispell-program-name "hunspell")
(message "You can also do this customization")
- International Ispell
- Official Home page and lots of dictionaries
- Spell checker problems
- Xahlee's notes and tutorials