I would like to structure the Main Page in boxes like here  the Featured Article/Project. Any objections? And maybe User:Bozhidar should write some lines about the relation to the "old" EmacsWiki?--Kenda 19:58, 24 March 2012 (EET)
Could/should we have some standard way of marking up links to Info sections? PhilHudson 22:10, 24 March 2012 (EET)
- I've created the template Template:Manual as a start. I've used it a couple of times in Keyboard macros, for reference. damd 19:59, 25 March 2012 (EEST)
- I have introduced Template:Variable, Template:Command, Template:Function and also improved upon your template for Template:Manual. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk • contribs)
Could/should we have a convention for formatting and placement of wikipedia links on pages? PhilHudson 22:37, 24 March 2012 (EET)
Similar question to Wikipedia wrt EmacsWiki PhilHudson 23:06, 24 March 2012 (EET)
Should we have a convention for marking up key sequences? I already see `C-x a` and
GregLucas 17:13, 25 March 2012 (EEST)
- +1 for any convention, I favor the latter over the former (but I'm using the former since that matches the first samples I encountered). PhilHudson 17:23, 25 March 2012 (EEST)
- I think
C-x ais better because it adds semantics to the text which web browsers understand. It's basically more accessible than `C-x a`. I'd like it if we could make a plugin for MediaWiki which allows us to use `C-x a` or `C-x a', with an apostrophe at the end, to become
C-x a, since they're both pretty common notations. I think `this' notation is especially common in Emacs. damd 20:02, 25 March 2012 (EEST)
Describing Modes and Packages
I'd like to suggest *not* suffixing (links to) modes with "-mode". Thus: "org" not "org-mode". For consistency I've been adding links titled "org-mode" until now, since that one was already created when I started. PhilHudson 22:09, 24 March 2012 (EET)
- Agreed, let's use the "friendly" name of a package. I'd say "Org", "Gnus", "YASnippet", etc. GregLucas
- Hm, good point about disambiguation... I still like the idea of using "titles" vs "commands", though. E.g. a Java page describing the built-in support (Java Mode) and then linking to articles on related packages (JDEE, etc) and why you might consider them instead. GregLucas 19:32, 25 March 2012 (EEST)
Built-ins vs Add-ons
An article on a mode/package should indicate whether it is part of the Emacs distribution. When there is a list of packages, maybe we group the built-in ones first and then the add-ons? GregLucas 00:53, 25 March 2012 (EET)
Good idea. PhilHudson 17:25, 25 March 2012 (EEST)
Template for mode-with-github-source pages?
Can Wikimedia do page templates? I'm sure the answer is yes. PhilHudson 23:07, 24 March 2012 (EET)
- The "Editing Help" link goes to a virgin page, not the full help page.
- Add [Mediawiki Cite extension] to enable footnotes.
- Add [Category Tree extension] to explore various categories like.