|Description||Version control front end for emacs|
|Part of Emacs||yes|
vc is a Version Control minor mode. This minor mode is automatically activated whenever a file is opened which is under any revision control system. It supports many different version control systems including git, bazaar, CVS and SVN etc. It gives a unique interface to Emacs irrespective of back end version control system in operation.
No particular setup is needed for basic usage. Emacs checks for usage of version control automatically when a file is being opened.
Helpful key bindings
- [C-x v +] (or M-x vc-update)
- Update the current fileset's files to their tip revisions.
- [C-x v =] (or M-x vc-diff)
- Display diffs between file revisions in a buffer using diff-mode.
- [C-x v g] (or M-x vc-annotate)
- Display the edit history of the current file.
Automatically revert version-controlled buffers
Since version controlled files tend to be changed outside of Emacs, it might be useful to automatically activate auto-revert-mode.
;; Activate `auto-revert-mode' for version-controlled files (defadvice vc-find-file-hook (after auto-revert-mode-for-vc activate) "vc-find-file-hook advice for activating `auto-revert-mode'" (when vc-mode (auto-revert-mode 1)))