How can we maintain and improve quality of this Wiki?
- Stick to Emacs-24 and Emacs-23.
- Keep things short and sweet. Mark things that should stand out in bold.
- Use Active voice
- Give tips. Document things that are difficult to find or share your wisdom.
- Don't reproduce existing documentation. Instead link to them.
- It's OK to write long tutorial Pages. Use Tutorial:Tutorial Namespace for it. Categorize them so it is easy to find.
- If you are a regular blogger, donate your article to this Wiki.
- Use Discussion page to discuss things. Don't put them in articles themselves. Always sign your comments using ~~~~.
- We cannot host code extensions and elisp packages here. Use GitHub or any other code hosting site.
Creating new pages
To create a new page, do this:
- Visit Template:NewPage and copy the text area to clipboard. Feel free to modify the template.
- Goto WikEmacs:Scratch Buffer
- Add this [[Test Page]] and save the scratch buffer.
- Click on the new Wiki link to create a blank page and paste the contents of clipboard there.
- Save the newly created page.
- Now you have a basic template which you can expand upon. Add content to the new page as you please.
There are templates defined for referencing variables, function, command, keys, manual etc. Use them for uniform experience. See Special:UncategorizedTemplates.
|What it looks like||What you type|
|Major Modes (`(info "(emacs) Major Modes")')|| |
|[C-x C-f] (or M-x find-file)|| |
|M-x find-file|| |
|M-x customize-variable RET c-default-style|
|M-x customize-group RET C RET|
There are special categories defined for Operating system, Emacs releases, Programming languages etc. Use these when possible or introduce new ones as required. See Special:Categories.