Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Building Emacs
- You can build Emacs from source on every distribution out there
- Use this option only if the distribution doesn't already provide an Emacs version of interest to you.
That said, few distributions include in their primary repositories builds of Emacs 24. Luckily there are some unofficial repos that come to the rescue.
- See emacs-snapshot APT repo. The page contains installation instructions.
- High quality, highly recommended builds! After adding the repo install with the following command:
: $ sudo apt-get install emacs-snapshot :
: $ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:cassou/emacs : $ sudo apt-get install emacs-snapshot :
- See Emacs on Gentoo page.
- Compile and Install using emacs.SlackBuild (unofficial).
- Fedora, SuSE, Mandriva
- No pre-built packages